In 1908, leaders of the Seventh-day Adventist Church had more faith than funds when they opened what would eventually become known as Florida Hospital. They believed that a sanitarium, like the one in Battle Creek, could provide care for year-round citizens while attracting visitors traveling between the Northeastern states and South Florida.
The land Florida Hospital’s main campus now occupies once had a farmhouse that an Orlando surgeon had converted into a treatment facility for tuberculosis patients. It was for sale, but the Adventist group only had $4.83 in the bank. Fueled by a commitment to mission and guided by prayer, one member used his own house as collateral for the deal in case the church’s $9000 offer fell through. But everything fell into place and the Florida Sanitarium and Benevolent Association opened in October 1908 with four patients, a few employees, and one doctor.
Today, the exciting faith venture that originally started in a twenty-bed farmhouse has grown into an institution that has more than 1,800 beds, with facilities in seven locations, 2,000 physicians, and over 15,000 employees. Although services, technologies, and amenities have changed through the years, the emotional, spiritual, and physical needs of patients are not all that different than they were back in 1908.
Extending the healing ministry of Christ is our mission, and healing the whole person remains our vision.
“With God all things are possible.” ~ Matthew 19:26